It really happened! My girls turned 1! This year has gone by so quickly, I feel like their first year went by so much faster than Asher's. I shed many tears thinking about how fast they are growing up and how soon they'll be talking then going to school then moving out and I just want all my kids to stay little forever! Thinking back over the last year, I have had many realizations. The first and most important lesson is sometimes you have to go into survival mode and just make it through. The first 4 months of twins, in my experience, were by far the hardest. Especially if one of them has colic and you have a 4 year old who is also trying to process having two new people in his life. And also if you can't eat half of the foods you normally do because you are nursing and your babies have very sensitive stomachs. There were times when I honestly didn't think I was going to make it. Those 4 months I averaged about 4 hours of sleep at night. If I sat down for more than 10 minutes I would fall asleep. I am so looking forward to this summer and being able to go outside because I felt like I never left the house last summer! I have no idea what Asher did that whole time. Whenever someone brought over dinner or offered to take Asher to do something it would bring me to tears because I knew I just couldn't do it on my own. I am so thankful David was able to take the summer off because he was amazing at catching babies. I think the past year the words I have said the most to him have been "Here, have a baby." It was so hard but it was so great when they were okay being on the floor and I didn't have to hold them all the time. And when they realized how ridiculous Asher is and loved watching whatever he did. And when they realized they could play with each other (even during nap time when they're supposed to be sleeping...) and laugh and giggle and all the other amazing things babies do! I'm so excited for what the next year brings!
- Lots of hair! I think she has a little bit more hair than Asher had at this point and a lot more than Ava. It's fun putting it in little ponytails and bows and all the girly stuff!
- Still skinny and tall, just like Asher. Although her head is ginormous. Like 99th percentile. Lots of room for all those brains!
- Has a cute little dimple and the most adorable little smirk which is usually accompanied by some kind of noise.
- Doesn't laugh a ton, but when she does it's a nice belly laugh that's very fulfilling to listen to!
- By far my best eater. She'll eat almost anything I put in front of her. She's still lighter than Ava, but that's not from lack of calories!
- Hates being in her carseat on long trips. She hardly sleeps in her carseat anyways and then will scream and scream for the last hour on our trips to Idaho. But as soon as we get her out she is right as rain!
- Kind of a mama's girl. Especially if she's in a new place where she feels uncertain or if she's upset.
- She takes awhile to warm up to new situations. She gets very clingy anytime we go somewhere new, but after she gets used to it she gets very adventurous and likes to crawl around exploring things.
- Still sucks her thumb when she sleeps. It's still super cute.
- Very mellow and sweet at home. Although most people don't get to see that because she is VERY wary of new people. It's amazing being able to stay home with them, but they only really see David and me so they're not used to being around different people and so most people get to see them cry.
- Loves to walk along furniture! I would guess she'll be walking first.
- Always trying to put things where they should go. If she finds a bow on the floor she'll try to put it on her head. If she finds my headband she'll try to put it on my head. If she picks up dog food and I'm around she'll hand it up to me because she knows I always take it away from her. (although if I'm not around she will eat it because she thinks she is a puppy).
|Look at that cute little face!|
|I snuck this picture during nap time. ;)|
|At Asher's baseball game. She loves to pull herself up on anything.|
|Birthday cupcake and pointing! I just love her!|
- Has had the same temperament since she was born, very hot and cold! She is either super happy and giggly or throwing herself on the floor in a tantrum, she doesn't really have an in-between. When she throws herself on the floor Asher calls her "Melter Master" (an adaptation of his Transformer "Motor Master"). She is a bit of a drama queen, but she is so funny and happy when she's in a good mood that it all evens out!
- Still has a pretty chubby face. She might have dimples under there somewhere, but I think we'll have to wait until she loses a little more baby chub to tell for sure.
- Much more talkative than Mia. She pretty much just babbles all day long, especially if we're in the car.
- Doesn't really like foods that aren't crackers or fruit and veggie pouches. I'm hoping I don't have another Asher-type eater on my hands.
- Daddy's girl all the way! When David gets home she follows him around wherever go goes for a good hour. And if he picks her up she DOES NOT want to be put down and will throw a huge tantrum if he does.
- Knows how to relax. She is always lounging and eating and drinking with as little effort as possible. She usually drinks her bottle with one hand behind her head.
- When she's in a good mood she is so ridiculous and hilarious and quirky. It is so easy to get her giggling and smiling!
- Her new favorite thing to do is slide things all over the house while she's crawling. It's usually a book, but can also be toys, clothes, shoes, or whatever else she can find.
- Can say "Dada" and "Mama" and once or twice I think she has said "Hi".
- Quite a little spitfire and we love having her around!
|Lounging like a boss.|
|She spent pretty much all of Asher's t ball game rolling around on the blanket and making weird noises. And pulling David's beard. ;)|
|She did not like the cupcake, but she enjoyed all the attention!|
|They are beginning to interact more and have more fun playing together and it is such a fun thing to watch! I sure do love these little girls!|
A week before their birthday we also attended David's sisters graduation. It was on a school day so David couldn't attend but I took the three kids and we made it there all in one piece! Congratulations to Joy and Kahea for graduating and good luck in graduate school!
|At dinner the night before. Mia took a little bit to warm up to Judy, but when she did she was in love!|
|At graduation Judy took Ava the whole time and Ava just loved cuddling up to her!|
|With the graduates!|
|It was a long morning and this was really the only time they cried the whole day!|
That Sunday we had a big group birthday party for all the 5 birthdays that happen in one month! Kahea, Brittany, Ava, Mia, and me!
|All the birthday people! Plus Asher. Judy didn't want Asher to feel left out so he got to blow out a candle and he got a present to open too. He was pretty excited about that!|
On our birthday I was originally planning on going swimming, but Asher woke up with a fever and threw up so I didn't want to chance going to a public place. So we spent time at home playing with balloons, having nap time (all three kids took a nap at the same time, it was amazing!), and eating cupcakes! David also went and got me Cafe Rio for dinner which was amazing because I love Cafe Rio and hate cooking. It was a great day and I had so much fun!
|My poor sick little boy.|
|Opening presents! Asher liked helping with that part.|
This video is kind of long, but if you have nothing better to do you should watch it!
|I blew up a bunch of balloons and they had a lot of fun chasing those around the living room!|
|Cupcakes! Mia loved hers. Ava...not so much...|
Eating birthday cupcakes!
|Asher loves to have buddies in bed with him. He usually has his bear (it was actually mine that my dad got for me when I had surgery in 8th grade) and this night he wanted Steve tucked in too!|
|I just thought this was super cute!|