Tuesday, July 7, 2015

4th of July and Moving

Oh my goodness, these past few weeks have gone by so fast!  When you have a million things to do, I think time speeds up so you have to rush and rush to get it all done!  I've basically just been preparing for the move since we got back from Rexburg, but on the 4th of July I took a little bit of a break (ok...I still did some packing, but we did fun stuff too!)  David doesn't really like big crowds or fighting traffic, so he is not a fan of parades.  But I love parades and feel that it is a necessary Independence Day tradition!  I wasn't sure that Kayenta even celebrated the 4th, but was very glad to find out they did and even had a parade scheduled!  The main event was the 3 day long rodeo and pow-wow, but I'm not into rodeos and felt too white to go to the pow-wow.  So I dragged Asher out to the parade in the blazing heat!
Since the Native's don't celebrate getting their independence (I'm sure they see it more as a day they lost their independence), they turn the 4th into a day to honor veterans.  They are very big in that and the whole parade (all 30 minutes) was float after float honoring veterans.


I kept dumping water on Asher's head to try to keep him cool.  He actually sat in the chair and just watched for the whole thing!  His favorite part by far was any time a horse walked by!
Waiting for the parade.  It was very hot.
My parade buddy!
David also barbequed for us and we had an amazing steak!  And later that night, after the rodeo ended, they set off the fireworks.  I usually spend the 4th with my family and everyone gets together, so I was a little sad we couldn't be with any family.  Holidays are hard when you have to do it all on your own!  David and I both agreed that if we weren't moving right then we probably would've tried to go to Utah or Idaho.  But it all worked out!

On Sunday, Asher woke up with a fever and a cough.  I had a feeling something like that would happen right during the move.  He's still sick today and it's very pathetic.  He's super congested and has a fever.  I've tried all the home remedies I could, but it seems like we're just going to have to let it run its course. 
What makes you feel better when you're sick?  Goggles and a movie of course!
What else helps?  Eating bananas and laying next to your puppy!
Before the sickness.  I love that smile!
I thought he broke the habit of taking off all his clothes during nap time.  I was wrong.
So this is the week we move.  I told my mom this week is going to require a lot of caffeine.  We are going to try to get everything packed by tonight so that we can spend all tomorrow cleaning.  On Thursday we have to go pick up the moving truck from Flagstaff (2.5 hour drive one way).  We'll probably get home around 5 from that and then we'll have to move as much as we can in that night.  We'll try to get help from the ward, but it's still a lot of work!  On Friday morning, Asher and I are driving to Mesquite to get the keys to the apartment and all the utilities set up.  David has to stay in Kayenta because one of us has to be there when they check us out, and they are only able to do that on Saturday.  David and Millie will hang out in Kayenta till Saturday morning, then bring the moving truck to Mesquite after the inspection.  Then hopefully we will find our bishop over there and get some big strong guys to help David move our heavy furniture!  And then Sunday we crash.  It's going to be a crazy week, and having a sick little boy is not going to help.  So please say a prayer for us!  I guess I should go start packing again...

2 comments:

mitchowl said...

Whew, it's a good thing David didn't try to brave the crowds at the parade. Ha ha.
I wish I lived closer to help you with everything. Are you going to stay in the apartment on Friday night? Are you sleeping on the floor? I hope everything goes well and you get settled in without a hitch.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Here is my super helpful moving advice......always have a diet Dr. Pepper and bag of candy in arm's reach. 😊 I am so helpful. Good luck!