Friday, June 2, 2023

End of School, Beginning of Summer

I saw a meme once that said "Being an adult is just saying 'But after this week it should slow down' over and over again until you die."  And I have really been feeling that!  So I'll try to remember everything that's happened the last couple of weeks, but I know I'm going to leave something out.  

The week before Memorial Day was the last week of school.  One day, Ava brought me home this lilac flower and said she picked it at recess (I'm sure from one of the houses bordering the school...) and she brought it home for me!  I have to say, she is the one that makes me the most pictures and brings me the most gifts.  It was very sweet that she held onto it all day and brought it home for me!

David decided to take an early vacation (not really) and he got his tonsils out the Wednesday before school got out.  The orchestra classes never really do anything the last week since he did his final concert the week before so he didn't feel too bad about missing the last few days.  He has had strep throat 3 times since January and when he slept, he would often stop breathing.  So it felt like it was something that needed to happen.

I was able to get the kids off to school and then in the afternoon while I was at the hospital with David my mom was at our house to get the kids off the bus and watch them and make dinner for them until we got home.  I was very appreciative that she was able to do that!  

David's surgery went well.  His doctor said his tonsils were so big that he had to put stitches in to help his throat heal better.  So it's a good thing he got them out!  His recovery has been fine.  He has told me that he expected to be in a lot worse pain.  He's still in pain and even a week after the surgery has to be very careful about what he eats, but it's at a manageable level.  This recovery has been easier for me though!  When he got his gallbladder out, it hurt him to move so he wanted a lot more help getting around and doing things.  For this, he can move around fine and get his own medicine and food so that cuts down on the amount of work for me!  He did get really frustrated the first few days when he was basically eating baby food and he'd look over and I would be eating fries...but once he was able to start eating a little bit of solid food his mood improved!  

When I went to the pharmacy right after his surgery, the pharmacist was looking at the pain medicine and dosages and asked me how old David was.  I told him and he started laughing and said "Oh, so this is for your BIG baby!  That makes more sense!"  When I tell people that David got his tonsils out I get a lot of sympathetic looks.  I think people have heard many stories about how hard it is as an adult.  It makes me glad I pushed so hard to get all our kids' tonsils out while they were still young!  Overall, he's had a tough week but I think he'll be glad he did it in the end.  

Right after surgery, still on the REALLY good drugs.  Although they did send us home with good enough pain pills that I could start a pretty good side hustle selling them if I wanted.

Two days after David's surgery was the last day of school, and the girls Kindergarten graduation!  It was a little tricky because the girls are in separate classes and it was right after David's surgery, but my mom was able to come help and I think things turned out okay!

They started out having all 3 Kindergarten classes meet in the gym and they sang a song together.  There are over 20 students in each class so there were a lot of kids! 

Ava is toward the left in the hat (she usually wears a hat to school in the mornings but they also usually make her take it off in class...but they apparently let her keep it on for graduation...so that was that...) and Mia is on the back row in the gray dress!

After they sang their song they had each class go to their own classrooms to do a short program.  David and my mom went to Mia's class (I wanted my mom to record Mia's and since David was still on some pretty heavy pain meds and not super alert I was worried if I asked him to do it I'd end up getting a recording of his foot) and I went to Ava's class.  It really tore me up that I couldn't attend both, but we were able to watch the recording of Mia's graduation at home and I think she thought that was fun to watch it with me!  

Both girls had great teachers and loved going to school every day!  Mia was almost in tears on the last day because she was so sad she couldn't go to school anymore.  I have a lot of people ask me if it was hard having them in separate classes, but I think it was good.  They have such different strengths that I think if they were together they would've made a lot of unfair comparisons.  They are both very bright girls and grew so much this year.  I'm sad they're leaving their teachers, but think they will really enjoy moving on to 1st grade!

Ava and Mrs. West

Mia and Mrs. Buzard

I try really hard to encourage the girls to embrace their individuality and Ava really tests me on that sometimes.  This was her outfit, chosen by her, for graduation.  And it totally represents her because she absolutely loves every part of that outfit!   

Thank you Grandma for coming to celebrate with them!

They both did so well!  Also, I love this picture and how their individuality comes out.  Ava in her boots and rainbow hat and Mia in church shoes and sparkly dress!

And here's some videos of graduation!



After Asher got home from school we went out for snow cones.  Because nothing says summer to me like a good snow cone!  And David could eat it so even better!


After school got out I was going through some of the papers they brought home and found some cute things.
Ava would draw something like this on the back of her paper every single day.  Sometimes it would say Mia and sometimes it would say Mom.  I thought I had saved one that said Mom but I guess I didn't and that makes me so sad!  Also on the ones that said Mom, she would draw both of us on trampolines for some reason.  I hope she does it next year too so I can have another chance at saving one!

I found this in a writing notebook of Asher's and it's just the cutest thing.  I'm sure the assignment was to practice letter writing by writing a letter to Santa.  This was Asher's: "Dear Santa, Please bring Ava and Mia a doll because I love them.  They deserve it because they've been nice to me.  Merry Christmas Santa.  Love, Asher"

There were so many tender moments that last week of school that just really touched my heart.  And then the weekend hit and things broke down so much I thought "This is it, this is the day I'm going to murder my family."  Okay, not really, but things really broke down and I was not sure we were going to survive summer.  In fact, I'm still a little iffy on that.  

It wasn't any one thing, but a few different things that just hit at the right time.  David was still recovering from his surgery and he was at the stage where he still couldn't eat any solid food, but really wanted to and so he was just hangry all the time.  I was trying really hard to come up with food he could eat, but there aren't a lot of options for that and I made about a hundred trips to the store because he would tell me something that sounded good but we didn't have it in the house.  So that was fun.  Also the kids for some reason were just at each others throats.  It just felt like constant bickering from the time they woke up until the time they went to bed.  Saturday and Sunday were not very peaceful at our house and I just kept thinking "we haven't even started summer vacation yet!  It's just a regular weekend!"

Monday rolled around and that at least gave us something to get us out of the house.  Every year we visit my grandparents graves and I try to tell the kids a little about their ancestors.  Although they were fighting so much in the car that I gave up pretty fast.  But once we got to the cemetery everyone's moods got much better.  Ava was a little disturbed that all the headstones meant people that had died were buried there.  Not disturbed like she thought it was gross, but saddened because so many people had died.  But when I explained they were with Jesus that seemed to help.  All of the Mitchell cousins were there and my kids love to hang out with them so it was a great day to celebrate family!  We also planned it to get there when a trio of bagpipers were performing and that was also very cool.  

All the Mitchell cousins with Grandpa Norman and Grandma Fay!  They would love seeing us all there!

We brought some lilacs from the bush in our yard.  I always tell my kids that lilacs remind me of them because they lived on Lilac Street and had a giant lilac bush in front of their house.

After the cemetery we all went to my parents house to hang out for a little bit.

Trying out their new hammock.

And getting rides on the 4-wheeler!

The rest of the week is a little bit of a blur.  I always have a hard time keeping track of what day it is in the summer because the kids and David don't go to school.  The only real schedule we have is church on Sunday!  So at some point during the week Asher went to a friends house and it was finally warm enough for the girls to go to the splash pad down the street from our house and for us to set up the slid-n-slide the girls got for their birthday!

At the splash pad.  Asher is a little too old for it, but the girls love it!

Girl party!  (one of Mia's favorite things to say whenever the 3 of us go anywhere)

Slip-n-slide!  It took them a little while to get the hang of it, but they had so much fun!




2 comments:

mitchowl said...

It was so fun to go to the girls graduation. I was impressed with David. He was doing pretty good. I'm glad you got the pool. I hope it lasts all summer and gives you all a lot of fun.
Love you!

Lisa said...

Wow, good job catching up! That was a lot of stuff. I love reading your description of everything even though I already knew about all that stuff. I'm so glad you have Mom's old pool to help fill your summer days. Hopefully it makes the summer much easier and will help your kids sleep well each night! :)