Thursday, March 15, 2012

Simple Gifts

Last night, as I was driving back to Rexburg after a rehearsal with the Idaho Falls Symphony, something great happened.  To get back to Rexburg from the theater, you pass by the Idaho Falls Temple.  I happened to drive past it while listening to Appalachian Springs by Aaron Copland (it's one of the pieces that will be played in our concert tomorrow, along with Shubert's 5th Symphony!).  The specific part of that piece I was listening to was the theme "Simple Gifts".  I can't explain it, but it was such a calming, wonderful moment for me. I was thinking about the words to the song and what they really mean to me.  Here are the lyrics:

 'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
 To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.

The first line got me thinking.  "'Tis the gift to be simple", I don't think this means to be simple-minded or to forget all responsibility, I think it means to be content to live a simple life.  You don't have to have all sorts of things.  You don't need all sorts of fancy things, you can be happy just living day-to-day with your family and enjoying them.  I think that's what our Heavenly Father wants of us, to be happy with whatever we have.  I want to live like that.  So here is my list of simple gifts that I'm thankful for:
  •  Going on drives with David, where we just talk and laugh and have fun.
  • Pop runs.
  • Playing in the symphony.
  • Having dinner with my family every Sunday, and all the crazy conversations we have!
  • Going to as many of David's concerts as I can - it actually makes me feel very proud of him every time I see him up there!
  • Being able to communicate with my Heavenly Father through prayer.
Here's a picture I snapped while driving past the temple, and the section of Appalachian Springs I was listening to.  I hope I can always focus on the simple gifts in my life and not get down when things may go wrong.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

That was a pretty fun concert. Sorry about missing your standing ovation. We'll make sure you get your slow clap next time. :)