There are a lot of people that come in to my work, and I have quite a few interesting stories about the people that come in. I have a lot of people I know a bit about because they come in so often. Normally when I work it isn't too exciting, but something happened today that really touched me.
There is a place in town that will watch mentally handicapped persons for a few hours during the day. They provide aids that will take them out to various places and help them get used to being in public. There is one boy who is about 18 years old that comes into work every once in awhile. He has a hard time talking and relies on his aid heavily. The aid is very nice and always friendly.
They came in today and things seemed just the same as always. The aid ordered the food and then sat down to wait for it. The boy was being unusually fussy (normally he just sits there, not saying anything). I went into the back when I heard a yell, chairs scraping across the floor, and then nothing. I went back out to see what had happened and I saw this boy on the floor. He had just had a minor seizure. I was nervous because I didn't know what to do, but the aid said everything was ok. He acted like this happened fairly frequently. The thing that touched me the most was another customer, as soon as that boy was on the floor, went over to them asking what she could do to help. She had never seen these people before, but she jumped when she thought she was needed. The aid had to carry the boy out after his seizure because the boy had gone almost completely limp. This kind lady opened the building door and then their car door open for them. Then she came back in and gathered all their belongings and brought them out to them.
I was so impressed by her immediate action to help those in need. When she came up to me to get her food, she said that sometimes the Lord picks you to get up off your seat and you just have to be ready! She was wearing a cross, so I assume she isn't LDS. It was the most selfless, kindest act of service that I've seen in awhile. There was no thought, no thinking "Should I go help? Do they really need me?", she just acted. I wish I could be more like that. I think sometimes we over-think things. We think that there's nothing we could do to help. But maybe all we have to do is ask. She could've just sat there and I'm sure things would've worked out, but she did her best to make the situation better than it was. I don't know why this act affected me as much as it did, but I want to be like that. I want to jump at the chance to help, not wait passively for someone to ask. One of the greatest examples of service came from someone I didn't expect. I'm just glad I was there to see it, because now I have that much more motivation to do more than my part.
2 comments:
Great post, Abby. That is exactly what your dad would have done. I'm too much like you and hold back a bit, but once in a while I manage to break through my unsure self and act. You can do it too. Love you.
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure that was a good experience.
Post a Comment